If you have you ever tried setting up the mailto function within Firefox for Google apps, then you know what a pain it could be. This article will walk you through how to setup the mailto shortcut for your Google Apps domain within FireFox 3.6.8 on Windows 7. This means that by clicking on any “mailto” links it will automatically open and compose a new email in your Gmail account.
1. Open up FireFox 3.6.8 and paste in the following into the address bar:
2. Click “I’ll be careful, I promise” when the warning appears
3. Copy and paste the following three values into the “Filter” field, one at a time and make sure they are set to “true”. If not, double click the value to change it:
4. Update the following script to have your domain within the URL and on the label for the new “mailto” application handler. Paste it into the address bar within FireFox, hit Enter and then click the “Add Application” button when the small notification appears:
5. Next get into the Applications settings section within the options menu item by going to Tools -> Options:
6. Navigate to the Applications tab, scroll down to the “mailto” entry, select you’re the “Google Apps – Your Domain” entry you created and then click “OK”.